Sunday, July 25, 2010

Potty training, first foods, oh my...

We have had a busy week although I have noticed that this is the case every week with a three year old and a four month old. Both of the children are requiring more and more lately. Nicholas is definitely maturing and has started to challenge me a bit. There are a few inappropriate behaviors that have emerged such as squeezing his sister's leg too hard, wanting things his own way, whining when he doesn't get what he wants, etc. I know this is normal three year old behavior and I am thankful that it is only when he is with me at home. When we are out or with others he is well behaved and a very good listener. I have read that this is normal for his age and that it will pass...thank goodness!!!!!!!! Sarah Kate has now decided that she really likes to be held and interacted with. She used to only cry when she was hungry but now she has started a different sort of cry to let us know she doesn't want to sit in the bouncy seat or whenever she is she instead wants to be played with. We are working to find the balance between meeting her needs and not spoiling her by giving in to her requests. Oh my! Luckily they both sleep so well all night long and I can start each new day with a good night's rest!!!

Here are some photos of the week. It has been eventful as you will see...

Scott with his babies...

Sarah Kate actually loving the dough that is given to kids to play with at Bertucci's.
Home Depot trip! Nicholas loves their carriages best!
Nicholas said.."Mom, I buckled Yak in too!" and this is what I saw when I turned around. He absolutely loves yaks and loves his stuffed yak. He often comes on trips with us and now he is even safe when doing so!
Sarah Kate started to practice eating. Here she is trying rice cereal for the very first time this past Monday. Not a fan...
Of course Nicholas wanted to help...
She loved pushing it out of her mouth with her tongue.
She liked playing in between spoonfuls.
Over the past year I have periodically worked on potty training with Nicholas and he just has not been interested. He wasn't ready. Now, even though he doesn't want to we started on Tuesday with full blown big boy pants. He picked out Thomas the Train pants and the diapers are all gone. He wears big boy pants all day except for bedtime and then he wears a pull up. It was a tough week but I'm so glad we did it! He has to be potty trained by the time he starts preschool in September so the pressure was on. I used his love of Thomas the Train to help! We printed out an incentive chart with Thomas and hung it on the bathroom wall. He gets to give himself a stamp every time he goes, sits, flushes, washes his hands, etc. He has loved it!! Once the chart was full we went to Toys R Us and he got to pick out a Thomas train toy for his set. Bribery... a wonderful and helpful potty training tool. We have gone to the toy store twice so far this week! Here are a couple photos. I was beyond excited about the first poo poo in the potty that I made Scott come upstairs to see it but luckily I didn't take a photo :-) he he
Nicholas told Daddy he peed and looked in and said "I see it!" It was funny...
Here is the big boy with his potty chart...


Tuesday and Wednesday he has two accidents, Thursday and Friday just one, none on Sat., and one today. Not bad for week one. Hopefully week two goes as well!


Midweek Sarah Kate then tried green beans...still not a fan of food...hopefully it will come...


Fingers are still a favorite!
Science at home...we ordered caterpillars that arrived this week and we have read all about them. Nicholas is excited that his new five friends will be forming their cocoons by the week's end!

Saturday we had a great time at a Swensen Family cookout with all of Nicholas' cousins. Here he is with Drew...
It was very hot and Sarah Kate sleeps a lot in the hot weather. She loves her doll...
My messy ice cream boy...
the adults had fun making Nicholas give kisses to family with his messy face. Here Uncle Ron got hit hard!
The beach with the cousins...so fun...
Grammy and Nicholas having fun hunting for crabs...
Have a great week!

No comments: